Position: Director, Development
Reports to: President
Position Purpose: The Director of Development is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all fundraising efforts including major gifts, special events sponsorships, charitable giving and capital campaigns. The Director works closely with the President and the board of directors of the foundation in all development and fundraising endeavors. The Director works directly with major investors on monitoring the use of the benefits that are included in their investment as to ensure roi. The Director is also responsible for overseeing fundraising, publicity and administrative responsibilities associated with the foundation.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of three years experience in business and/or not-for-profit fundraising.
- Meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications with them.
- Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
- Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Ensure investors are utilizing benefits associated with their level of investment.
- Build the planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies.
- Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives.
- Direct capital campaigns and other major fundraising drives.
- Assist in coordination and recruitment of sponsorships for special events.
- Direct employee fundraising drives.
- Oversee prospect research.
- Update President and Board of Directors on status of fundraising.
- Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about the organization’s role in the community.
- Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems.
- Oversee creation of publications to support fund raising activities.
- Outreach to area nonprofits and tracking of applications for Foundation grants
- Maintain gift recognition programs.
- Demonstrate professional conduct at all times.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
- Must embrace the mission of the organization.
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Have knowledge and experience in fund raising techniques, particularly major gift fundraising.
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers.
- Have the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships.
- Be a “self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls.
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- A bachelor’s degree.
- 3 years minimum experience in professional fundraising.